Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wow, I Did Something!

 








Ever since my counselor suggested I may have bipolar/ADHD tendencies, I've been researching ways to make my life easier and more productive. I'm the queen of unfinished projects. I can destroy a house in 4 hours with no recollection of having torn it apart. It's so frustrating!

So, the last few weeks, I've been doing what I can -- sticking to the cleaning schedule the best I can and earning stars to reward myself with some me time. It's not a perfect system, but it is working, and the house has become less disastrous and more livable. That's something!

One of the things my counselor suggested was better managing my "ups" instead of wallowing in or trying to fix the "downs." Having a baby helps with this, because I can't tackle a random project (say refinishing a book shelf) for hours at a time and burn myself out to the point that I don't want to do any regular chores for the rest of the week. I also have more time to think about which projects I want to undertake, time to ask myself, "Is this a project that will contribute to household harmony or just look pretty in a corner?" I'm proud of myself for doing that, but I hadn't really seen it pay off much until this weekend.

I was looking around my bedroom thinking how messy it was and feeling guilty about not having it done. I stopped and told myself that it could wait... that the other rooms (E's and kitchen) were more important. I went to pick them up and found they weren't that messy. I went to tackle the living room instead and found that the worst thing in there was a pile of clean, unfolded laundry on the couch. I decided to take some 8-month-old pictures of E instead, and I found that I had already taken some 2 weeks ago (above)!

Could it be? Am I starting to be (almost) organized enough to complete (almost) everything I want to do? I could settle for the "almosts" right now -- that's progress!

I used my time instead to, first, pay some bills, do some freelance work, and now I will baby proof the living room! I feel good completing these tasks and feel that I'm putting a reasonable amount of energy into each one. In hoarding this energy and spreading it out evenly across the week, I'm having fewer "down" moments.

I also have an idea for making the living room more baby safe that I'm really excited to try! Will take pictures as long as all goes as planned!

Quote of the Day
E: Booo?? Boooo? Aboodah...? Hahahahahaha!!!
(I think she's asking me to put on Blues Clues.)

Listening to
Blues Clues & Sesame Street

Weather in VT
Cold and cloudy!

No comments: