Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday Notes

Rewriting History
So, we know that Pearl loved brownies when she was pregnant. I don't know any pregnant woman who wouldn't. And until I get in touch with Grandma Betty's brother, Cleo, or her Aunt Margaret (who I hope is still alive), that will probably be all I ever know.

In the meantime, I think I'll bypass my mom and see if Grandma has any more information. They both tend to breeze over things that they think aren't important... I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out Pearl had lead troops into some major battle in WWI, but that eating a pan of brownies became the legend told 'round the campfire for generations to come. Such is the Strange family!

Mom also shared some facts about Betty's father, Michael Kelly. She said, "Michael's father died when he was 14 years old." After spending 5 whole minutes trying to figure out how Michael's father had 5 kids before the age of 14, I realized that she actually meant: Michael's father died when Michael was 14 years old.

It was at this point that I almost dropped the investigation. I thought, "We're rewriting a strange history here... Maybe we ought to let bygones be bygones." But, instead, I erased my errors and moved on...

When Michael's father died, Michael took his job as a miner and continued to support his family in his father's absence. Grandma claims he was a good man. He also encouraged all of his brothers and sisters to pursue a college education and paid for each of them to go.

He died in 1957, when Grandma was 25. My mom was born 3 years later, but I wonder if her older siblings remember their grandfather or have any stories about him. I'll add that investigation task to my list...

Mom said that Grandma Betty's brother, Cleo, would be my best resource, but since their sister, Gen, passed away over the weekend, I may want to wait a little while before reaching out to the family. I'll try to wait patiently!

Happenings
Ellie is having a hard time napping today, except when she's in my lap. We have a strong storm coming up the coast bringing possible tornado warnings in the southern part of the state. We're just getting lots of rain and wind here in central VT. Perfect cuddle weather! So, I gave in to her for the last half hour of her nap and am enjoying some good snuggles with my snuggle-bunny!

Mark will be home late tonight, so I'm making chicken and biscuits in the crockpot with squash and peas.

I was surprised to find this squash on the table when I got home from work. At first, Mark denied putting it there before he left for work in the morning. So, I conducted a Facebook investigation to see who had broken into my house and put a squash on my table. Because, if someone breaks into your house in Vermont, 9 times out of 10, it's to leave some garden-harvested vegetables on your table. Turns out he did leave it here this morning -- it was from his coworker's garden. I'm from New York originally, so my first thought was, "Oh God, the terrorists are making bombs disguised as vegetables now."

Nope, just a squash, soon to be enjoyed with dinner!

Quote of the Day
Mark: What squash?!
Me: The yellow one! On our table!

Listening To
The rain & singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow (skies are blue)!

Weather in VT
Rain! ("Dibble dibble dibble dibble dopp dopp dopp!" as Dr. Seuss would say!)

No comments: