Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Scariest Move

Do any of you work in healthcare? Because I need you to explain something to me...

Ok, a little background info first: Today's Bloggy Moms' Blog Dare prompt is: The Scariest Move. I've made a lot of scary moves in my life -- literal moves, to a new state. I've made some scary life choices, and my daughter has been making some downright scary jumps off of the furniture lately, but today I have to write about how scared I am for the human race and their sheer lack of intelligence.

I will be the first to admit that I'm a tad ditzy, but when it comes to my day job, I'm pretty much on the ball -- mainly because I've been doing the same job or similar jobs for the last 13 years.

So, I have to ask myself, unless someone is a complete moron... how hard is it to be a receptionist in a medical office? I can see how there are responsibilities beyond the normal receptionist duties. I mean, I've had to hand them a poop sample, so I sympathize with the fact that they may have to handle fecal matter and wash their hands more often than a receptionist at... a real estate office. They also must have to deal with a lot of weird medical questions/symptoms. I'm trying to empathize here, and I would never just say, with 100% certainty, that anyone's job is easy, especially not having done the job myself.

However, when it comes to scheduling appointments, unless it's your first day(s) on the job, I expect you to be able to make things happen. The following has happened to me now, twice. The first woman, I gave her the benefit of the doubt. "Maybe she's just having an off-day," I thought.

When it happened a second time, today, I could only conclude that they're training people to respond this way to questions, regardless of the information they're given... or that... all people are idiots. Here was my conversation.

R (cheerily): Hello, Can'tFindOurAssesWithBothHands Hospital!
Me: Hi, I'm calling to make an appointment. I called earlier to schedule, but the doctor's office had made an error on the request. It's been fixed now, and they told me that I could call to schedule.
R: Have you scheduled an appointment?
Me: What? Is this an automated receptionist? (pushes 1 a few times)
R: Have you made an appointment?
Me: No, I need an appointment. (better stick to 4-word sentences)
R: Well, I don't see you in our system.
Me: Ok, well I can call back later. The doctor's office just said that I could call to schedule right away.
R: Ohhh... the papers are stuck together!! Here you are! Hahahaha!
Me: Heh. Ok, great.
R:When would you like an appointment?
Me: Well, what's available?
R (annoyed): This works much better if you tell me when you'd like your appointment.
Me: I'm not sure this is working at all. Um, ok. What's available in the next 2 days?
R: Well, what time do you prefer?
Me: Between 12 and 2 works best for me.
R: We have Friday at 11!
Me: What else is available, any time, on Thursday or Friday?
R: We only have Friday at 11.
Me: Hahaha! Ok... But, then... um. Why? Nevermind, ok.
R: Hahaha! So, should I put you down for Friday at 11?

She had no idea why I was laughing... and I still can't get over the fact that the last time I called a completely different doctor's office, the same thing happened -- the woman insisted I pick a time during a week span when I wanted to have my appointment. I insisted that she tell me what was available, since my schedule is pretty flexible. She actually got angry, made me tell her times that worked for me, then said, "We only have Thursday at 2."

Seriously, you're scaring me, healthcare system. Set up a robot to take my appointment, please.

No comments: