Friday, August 9, 2013

Five-Minute Friday

Couldn't resist participating in another Five-Minute Friday! This week's theme: "Lonely".

Today my thoughts are with an old friend who lost a child on Wednesday. Selfishly I turn my thoughts to my own child, worry about her, hold her close. I've vowed to make today a special day, one in which I appreciate my daughter and laugh with her -- to share a moment of ecstatic joy in a life that is all too short.

I feel lonely in my worry, as I inspect every inch of her after a scrape or tumble. A mom's worry is like no other. It comes in waves of terror, lulls to a soothing fear, then ceases altogether when I hear her familiar laugh or see her smile. For only an instant, I know that she is okay. And in that moment, I delicately and cautiously rejoice and celebrate this beautiful life.

Check out Lisa-Jo Baker's blog to play along!

--After I posted this, per the game rules, I went back to visit the blog post before mine in the list, to read and comment. To my surprise, it was this page, and I was inspired by Lois's post and Bible verse, “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?” [Psalm 139:7]. It's a great Christian blog, and I felt like I needed a little dose of faith and love. Thanks, Lois!

3 comments:

Miss Mindy said...

Ohhh, I know that feeling of terror when you think about how easily a life can be lost. Even now, when my children are having their own children, I feel those grips. But that's when I am reminded that it al belongs to Him anyway and my worry is a useless waste of time.

Well written

BARBIE said...

I am so sorry for your friend. Yes, as moms, we worry. It's in our nature. But I am thankful I have a God who loves my kids more than I ever could and I know I can trust Him with their lives. Enjoyed my visit from the Five Minute Friday.

Lois @ Live Nourished said...

Gretchin,

Thank you so much for the mention! Was a lovely surprise to read your kind words. I'm honoured that you were inspired by my Five Minute Friday offering.

May God bless you as you serve Him,
Lois