Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Digital Doodling

Trying out some digital doodles tonight with my Wacom! I was inspired by Emily McDowell (her site here) to try it out. She makes some pretty amazing prints with her Wacom and Adobe Photoshop. I preferred the Illustrator program, because I like how it smoothed the edges and handled the pressure of the pen.

However, I wasn't thrilled with how the color filled in when I brought the image back into Photoshop. I don't know if you can tell here, but there are some white corners in the leaves.

This is because I used the fill tool, and I even tried to adjust the tolerance of the tool to allow it to group more pixels, but no luck. I really had hoped to avoid drawing colored shapes behind the lined drawing to get a nice, clean color to the drawing. It's just time consuming.

In the second example, I made the lines look purposely a little more "grungy" so that the white looked normal. And, ugh... I'm just not sure how I feel about that, though I do like how "jungly" this image looks. Also, it gave the rose highlights which made it look slightly more realistic.

But, now it's getting late, so more practicing tomorrow night!


No comments: