Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Big Girl Bed

For this lovely Whatever Wednesday, I should probably go back to talking about my amazing kid. Someday, I hope she'll read these stories and enjoy this little diary of sorts, where I try my best to document her little life that's very quickly becoming bigger, as she grows and takes on an ever larger presence in our household.

On Sunday, we changed her room around and moved the twin-size bed to the spot where her crib was. Her favorite thing about this new arrangement was that she got to jump on her new big-girl bed. I was a little worried about how bedtime would go, but I only had to tell her twice that she had to stay in her bed (unless there was an emergency), and each night after has been so drama-free that there isn't much to write about.

She still pulls out the same bedtime stalling techniques, like asking for a snack, a trip to the potty, snuggle time with Mama, and just one more story, but after that, she curls up in her bed and goes to sleep.

The door to her room has to be open so she can hear Mark and I chatting in the living room, and it helps if we have Master Chef playing on the TV.

Yesterday, I made her some official mommy bracelets, so she could wear them to day care and have the security of having "mommy hugs" on her arms. She had one on each wrist but took off one of them while eating dinner.

As she was falling asleep last night, she called me in her room. I've been good about responding to all seemingly serious mommy calls, to give her added security in her big-girl bed. So, I went in, and her eyelids were half closed, fighting sleep.

"What is it?" I asked.
"I need my other bracelet." She held up her arms. I went into the kitchen to get it.

When I came back to her room, her eyes were closed, so I slipped the bracelet on her wrist. She opened her eyes, looked up at me and said, "Thank you," with a relieved sigh. Then she fell right to sleep. Oh, my heart. My sweet baby...

Mornings have been hectic, and she makes every attempt to control the schedule, delay our getting out the door, all while screaming, "I'm going wild!!" and "Catch me if you can!!"

But, for now, I can look forward to having my baby girl back at bedtime, quiet story time, sweet snuggles, and her still needing mommy hugs.