Thursday, April 25, 2013

Yesterday

Happenings
I just wanted to write a quick update about yesterday -- lovely day with the lovely E! The weather was absolutely beautiful -- high 70s and sunny. We got out for an hour-long walk before dinner. No duck spotted in the pond, unfortunately, but I think we saw two turtles at the far edge of the water! We had our snack on the patio and blew bubbles, chased a ball.

For the first time in a long time I'm keeping up with housework, and I swear this is because we're spending the majority of our days outside! I also have myself on a pretty good housekeeping schedule that just involves taking 10-15 minutes each afternoon to pick up and clear my surfaces/put dishes in the dishwasher. It isn't perfect, but it won't be condemned any time soon, so that's a plus!

Due to my previous lazy housekeeping skills and my tendency to sneak out of the house after E was in bed (while Mark was gaming at home) for Mexican food with certain lovely lady friends, M and L, I also encouraged Mark to get out with his friends and family as soon as he could. But, oddly, as soon as I found out he was actually going to take me up on that offer, I was jealous. Haha! So, last night, his family made plans to go to a movie with him at 6pm, and I insisted that I should have dinner with them before. It worked out perfectly, and I got some of my own social time with them before they went to the movie. We went out to a local diner and had some good, old-fashioned family time.

I also love seeing how they interact with E. Even though I praise myself for never underestimating E's intelligence, I catch myself not always encouraging as much interactive play as I could, because I think she won't necessarily connect the dots and see the bigger picture.

My sister- and mother-in-law always put on a production for her. They create the most imaginative play time. Last night, a booster seat on the floor of the restaurant became a car. E's play keys completed the picture, and her Auntie Bee encouraged her to drive to the circus. To my surprise, she seemed to understand at the very least the driving part of this scenario and spent the evening climbing in and out of her play car, always making sure she had her keys to start the car and drive off to her imaginary destination. It was so simple and creative, and it kept her busy the entire time I finished my meal. When my mother-in-law picks up a teddy bear or doll, it takes on its own personality complete with British accent, family history, and a plan of action -- to create the perfect tea party, the most extravagant dinner-dance, or to carry on endless, detailed conversations with my one-year-old. I find myself watching these productions as captivated as E. Who needs TV? I'm so blessed.

Listening To
Me and Bobby McGee, Janis Joplin

Weather in VT (yesterday)
Sunny and high 70s!
Much chillier today, and I hear they're calling for snow tomorrow (eye roll). Next, please! We're ready for the beach!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Couldn't finish this one without crying cause I love her so much!