Monday, January 23, 2012

Owl Babies and Sun Dogs

Two weeks ago, Little E came into the world. The doctor placed her in my arms, and she looked up at me with those big, owl eyes. She whimpered softly and took in the world around her.

I remember last year before getting pregnant, Mark and I were out for a walk in the fall, and I was crying about the possibility of not having a baby. He told me that all the tears, grief, hope, that it was all part of the process - and that it would end with a baby in my arms. Hearing that gave me the strength to keep trying. By spring, I was watching her little heart beating on the ultrasound screen. She looked like a baby owl, and will forever be known as my "owl baby" and "baby bird."

I knew this pregnancy was different. I could feel her in my arms as soon as I knew she existed. Nine months of anxiety and trying to do everything I possibly could to guarantee a healthy pregnancy, and she came to us after a very simple, beautiful birth.

Those nine months were also filled with dreams and symbols (beautiful rainbows) of promises and hope, (read more here), that I would hold her in my arms, that everything would be ok.

The day we left the hospital, one of the nurses came to our room to get us ready and walk us out. She went to Little E's bassinet and smiled at her. She spoke softly to her and said, "You are absolutely perfect. It's a beautiful day to go home, E! The sun is shining, and there's a big rainbow across the sky. I've never seen one in the winter before." I told her that rainbows have a special meaning to us, and she said, "Of course they do - they're a symbol of God's promise."

That night the news had a story about the January rainbow - called a sun dog. I had never heard of them before, but they had a picture - the most beautiful rainbow I had ever seen.

It was more than coincidence. It was an every-day miracle just for her. She's a special baby, and the world is already so much more beautiful with her in it!

1 comment:

Cheney said...

That is beautiful. I hope you are settling in well at home and getting as much sleep as possible!