Friday, May 30, 2014

Smash Doodle Art Journals


I seem to sway back and forth between my artistic obsessions. One week, crochet. Next week, doodling. Then, writing, music, dancing, and anything in between. Anything can strike my fancy at any particular time. If only I could stick to one and find a lovely, unique, little niche for my blog (along with the mom stuff). That'd be nice.

But that won't happen today, because today I'm back into Smash Books, Mixed-Media Journaling, and Doodling! It's been great for my anxiety. I'm practicing drawing faces, characters, and anything that strikes my fancy -- like E's plate of macaroni & cheese and green beans.

E is also really into painting and coloring right now, so I'm getting more opportunities to sit down with my little sketchbook and do a doodle or sketch each day. It's all in the name of practice and fun, and I'm enjoying the process.

I'm keeping a handful of journals on hand for everything I'd like to keep track of -- my schedule, design/blog ideas, sketches/doodling, dream notes, visions, random thoughts, etc. And I'm trying to worry less about the appearance and design of each page and more about documenting just for the sake of getting thoughts and ideas out of my head.

It's been such a fun and therapeutic process. I can't wait until E is a little older and can better understand why this means so much to me, but for now I'm trying to learn from her. Her "let's just paint for the sake of putting pretty colors on paper" attitude is such an inspiration. Art. Simplified.

I've started a Journaling Board on my Pinterest page (here), and here are some other great resources that I've found inspirational this morning for creating some art journals:
Pinterest Search: Journals and Doodling
Danielle Quarmby's Smashbook
Alisa Burke Artwork

No comments: