Sunday, March 25, 2012

I Am Going to Kill You, Oatmeal

This gallbladder diet blows. I'm eating all low-fat and fat-free foods until my surgery this Thursday. One of the foods that's most filling that I can actually eat is oatmeal. You can add a twist to it with just about any fruit, and honey or brown sugar. But by day 32 of eating any variety of oatmeal, you pretty much never want to look at oatmeal again.

Anyway, last week I decided to finally go out by myself (no Mark, no baby)! I had to go to the post office, then decided I'd stop at the cafe for a cup of tea and some one-on-one time with my Kindle. Just a little simple me-time...

The post office trip was a success which probably had something to do with not struggling to carry E's car seat in, or dropping packages, or having to ask a random stranger to use a crowbar to pry me out from underneath said car seat and packages.

At the cafe, though, my outing took a turn. They were out of tea(?!). They gave me coffee instead. Coffee is delicious, but it also burns a hole in my stomach. I took a few sips and tried to focus on my book. I ended up calling Mark instead which ended in tears and him insisting that I go out to lunch while he give E a bottle.

I took him up on it, and imagined having a beautiful, veggie sandwich for lunch. I went to 3 diners. Due to some new VT diner fad (I can only guess), diners now don't serve lunch on Saturday... at all. My choices were eggs, pancakes (made with eggs), or... oatmeal.

At the third diner, I told the waitress about my dietary restrictions. She told me not to worry, that she'd make something special. Thank God for that good, old-fashioned Vermont hospitality.

Of course, she brought me... oatmeal. But not just any oatmeal - death-wish oatmeal. She had loaded it with fattening foods like almonds and butter. WTF. I felt betrayed by the sweet, little, old lady... in a Kathy-Bates-in-Misery kinda way.

Then it all caught up with me, and I had to fight back tears - the new-mom exhaustion, the stress of being away from E, the oatmeal I couldn't eat, the coffee... All of a sudden I felt like I was going to be violently ill.

I lied to the waitress, telling her I had gotten a call and had to leave right away. I asked her to wrap up my food which took her forever... I rushed home and got sick for the next 2 hours.

The last of my me-time that day was spent in the bathroom.

Last night Mark and I had his parents babysit, and we went out for dinner. Finally, a real break! And no chance of anyone serving us oatmeal for dinner!

No comments: