Monday, March 12, 2012

Big Wheels Keep on Turnin'

E's stroller arrived about 4 weeks before she did. We had gotten in late one night, and the Graco box had been left outside the door.

I was so excited to open it, so Mark did the initial setup, but I insisted on going to bed before he had time to attach the wheels.

Three months later, and we still hadn't finished assembling that stroller. I didn't pressure Mark about it, because I had no need for it, but last Wednesday turned out to be a beautiful, 60-degree day. I had been in most the week and weekend, and my brain was getting that cabin-fevery itchy feeling. I had to get out.

I had Mark do most of the household chores while I was pregnant -- partially due to nausea, fear of hurting the baby, and just plain laziness. I'm still relying on him quite a bit but decided that had to change. I was determined to put the wheels on.

I spent my only free 20 minutes of the morning trying to "snap" those wheels on per the instructions, until I broke down and started to cry. I just didn't have the arm strength. It was so heartbreaking to be so close, within reach of holding my ticket to freedom.

I think in the past I would have kept crying, eaten two donuts, and sat down to watch some crappy daytime tv to forget my problems. It's different now. E was sitting in her swing watching me. I smiled at her and said, "Who needs a stroller? Mama will find some wheels!"

I bundled her up, put her in her car seat, and drove to the grocery store. I pulled up next to the shopping-cart return. I don't condone stealing, but borrowing one would be okay! I put E in the cart, and we went for a walk around the shopping center. We looked a little goofy, but luckily I'm not the type of mom who's bothered by that! We waved to the woman walking her dog and chatted with the old man doing his weekly shopping.

It was E's first time out without a blanket over her car seat. She stared at the big blue sky and smiled at me as I told her how creative we were and that we're two women who won't let anything stop us!

This week is going to be sunny and warm again! I had Mark snap on those pesky front stroller wheels this morning. I told him E and I could handle the back ones.

He left for work, and I put her in her bouncer. She watched as I assembled the wheels, axles, and brakes. I had to hammer the wheel caps on.

This was her reaction. I like to think she's proud of her old lady!

No comments: