Thursday, December 29, 2011

Another Season, Another Reason... For Makin' Whoopee... (Pies)

And!! Another great gift - a Whoopie Pie maker from Baby Cakes!

I'm going to give this thing a whirl today... I'll update via Twitter while I work (user: UrMomIsStrange) and the blog once I'm finished. I'm hoping to find some other practical uses for this in the kitchen too. I even considered trying to make mini burgers with it (Sliders, anyone?), but I'm not sure I want to spend my afternoon cleaning beef out of the whoopie wells if something goes awry.

Hopefully all this baking will make the baby timer go off too... 3 days and counting!

Update: Okay... so that went well! Especially for my first time! The maker is great and cooks up the batter in 1.5-2 minutes! With the mix, the batter is super easy to make too! For the outer cookies, I was able to use a whisk instead of an electric mixer. Mixing, preheating, and baking took me about 15 minutes - I mean, you can't make cookies that quickly. I was impressed!

The filling was a mix as well and should have been easy to throw together. I did a few things wrong, though: I cut the recipe in half. After using too much batter for the cookies and "testing" some of the less attractive ones from my first batch, I had omitted, eaten, or destroyed a good majority of my cookies. I only had enough to make 9 pies instead of 18 per the recipe. Then the butter for the filling wasn't soft enough, so I microwaved it. That wasn't smart. I added the milk and sugar mix, and basically created an icing. A very delicious icing, might I add... I "sampled" about half the bowl. But I think this is where an electric mixer would make all the difference. I'm not sure a whisk would have mixed the butter enough to make it nice and fluffy.

Anyway, for the sake of showing you what could have been, I grabbed some frosting and put these together. Cleanup was extremely easy too. No cookie pan to clean! Overall, I'm a happy camper and had lots of fun with this! I can't wait to get creative and experiment some more!

Unfortunately, the baby seems perfectly content baking from the womb. I'll have to see what else I can do to convince her to come out and play!

No comments: