Saturday, January 4, 2014

Absolutely Smashing!

Today, E had so much fun with her "glitter glues," spreading them across the page. My favorite thing about art for her, at this age, is that it's all about textures and colors -- it's rarely about how the final product looks. I love this approach.

It encourages me to do the same -- to focus less on the destination, more on the journey, to take a few minutes to just enjoy how paints spread out across the page, how the paper wrinkles, how the chalk sticks and clumps.

It doesn't matter if she's running chalk through the glitter glue, drawing on a rock she found at the bottom of her pen cup, or pasting her crayons together. It's all creativity. It's all good.

This is the page we completed today. My sister-in-law got me this great big Smash Book for Christmas, and I knew there would be no working on it without help from E, so I decided to make this another mommy-daughter collaboration, and I'm so glad I did.

Who better than a toddler to capture the true essence of what a Smash Book should be? Chaos, randomly placed paper, stickers, and quotes!

Here is our first page, and here's to enjoying the process!

No comments: